[BC] Shortening non-sectionalized "too-tall" AM radiators

Dan Strassberg dan.strassberg
Tue Jul 19 15:57:50 CDT 2005

Craig, and all: Thanks for the info. A question about WNBH: Is the tower
grounded-base or series-fed and if ground-base is it shunt or skirt-fed?
According to the FCC database, your scheme shortens a tower that is
mechanically 240 degrees to an electrical height--based on the efficiency of
386 mV/m/kW @ 1 km, IIRC--of just a skosh more than 180 degrees.

I don't think that any scheme that involved sectionalization would work in
the case I'm interested in--and not only because the towers are in use by
another station (actually, two stations at night). I believe that the town
in which the array is located would raise hell at any suggestion involving
mechanical modification of the existing tower structures. I think that
skirting might fly with the zoning authorities, though.

The other case that I mentioned in central New York State is different. That
one IS a grounded, skirt-fed tower. Based simply on the tower's physical
height, it is 5/8 wave at the AM frequency and has more VHF and UHF antennas
on it than I was able to count (one or more FM translators, an LPTV, and
much other stuff). The skirt for the AM goes up just 1/4 wavelength, I
believe, but, of course, the entire tower is supposed to radiate the AM
signal. The guy who owns the tower and the AM is presumably making money
from his tenants but he's been stuck trying to get the AM to work even
moderately satisfactorily. Last I heard, he had hired as a consultant a
South American PhD college professor, whom he claims is the only expert he
could find with actual hands-on practical experience solving efficiency
problems in "super-tall" skirt-fed grounded AM towers. Even before he hired
this particular consultant, the owner recognized that the propagation
velocity was enough lower than the speed of light in free space to make the
tower electrically taller than 225 degrees. However, when I met him several
years back, neither he (that is, the tower owner) nor any of the other
consultants he had hired (I'm not a consultant; I'm just a friend of a
friend of the tower owner) had been able to explain why the efficiency was
as low as it was. Maybe by now the South American professor has fixed the
problem.