[BC] Allocation Philosophies - Was: KKGM

Rich Wood richwood
Wed Jul 20 08:02:29 CDT 2005

------ At 08:54 PM 7/19/2005, Alan Kline wrote: -------

> > Channel numbers don't and never have applied to radio.
>
>"KFWB, Color Channel 98"  Classic jingle of the 50's-70's.  Many other
>stations using the same thing.  Several jingle companies built packages
>around the concept of "channel" on the radio...

That was in the "Color Radio" days. I was at TM when many of those
were made. Well before satellite radio. Even TV stations are playing
down channel numbers in favor of their network identification It's
often no longer Channel 4 but NBC4. I simply think we'd be adding
another source of confusion in listeners' minds.

The suggestion that consultants wouldn't approve is probably correct.
Unless you're an engineer you've never associated a channel
assignment with a radio station. It's always call letters, frequency
or a slogan. If you use a channel number for radio how will listeners
know how to tune to it. Where on my radio will I find Channel 201?
Will we mail out conversion guides? "Color Channel 98" at least gives
me a hint.

With cable now having channel numbers in the stratosphere I doubt any
smart station would use "Color Channel 98" today. There probably is a
channel 98 on their cable system and, most likely, it's in color.

Rich

Rich Wood
Rich Wood Multimedia
Phone: 413-303-9084