[BC] Allocation Philosophies - Was: KKGM

Sid Schweiger sid
Tue Jul 19 20:38:57 CDT 2005

>>we shouldn't be feeding our competition. Our uniqueness depends on us
retaining everything that belongs to us and makes us familiar to
listeners. The more satellite radio spreads, the less we need to
associate ourselves with them. There should be no terrestrial
programming shared with satellite radio.<<

We shouldn't but we do, and I'm surprised we haven't seen more of a
backlash about two of OTA radio's best known personalities, Howard Stern
and Rush Limbaugh, using their shows to effectively drive listeners to
other media.  Lately Stern's show is a program-length commercial for
Sirius, and Limbaugh mentions his podcast and webcast every chance he
gets.  In another era, such antics would have seen affiliates instantly
dropping them like hot potatos.  Have owners become so shell-shocked
that they don't give a damn, or are they truly ignorant of what Stern
and Limbaugh are using their programs for?

Sid Schweiger
IT Manager, Entercom Boston LLC
WAAF - WEEI AM/FM - WMKK - WRKO - WVEI
20 Guest St / 3d Floor