[BC] Allocation Philosophies - Was: KKGM

Alan Kline akline
Tue Jul 19 20:12:06 CDT 2005

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 PeterH5322 at aol.com wrote:

> (KDWB/910 might have become "KDWB Channel 91", I don't remember).

Are you thinking of KEWB in Oakland?  KEWB was very definitely "Color
Channel 91".  I believe that KDWB in Minneapolis (also Crowell-Collier
ownership) used the "Color Channel" slogan as well, although I'm not
certain.

> Although trading KNXT (TV) in on KCBS-TV did seem a little out of the
> box, as KCBS (AM) is located in the #5 market, while KCBS-TV is in the #2
> market.

Of course, when KQW became KCBS in the late '40's, San Francisco was a
much more important market than LA.  (Some would argue that that's still
true... ;-).

By recent times, I think it would have been enormously confusing to the
audience to rename either KCBS(AM) or KNX.  OTOH, the KCBS-TV call wasn't
being used anywhere, although as a traditionalist myself, I'm not sure I
would have renamed KNXT...

ak