[BC] the Deja VU meter is pegging (was: IBOC)

Kevin Tekel amstereoexp
Tue Jul 19 13:57:55 CDT 2005

Phil Alexander wrote:
> Oh how little you know of publishing. Horace Greely would not comprehend
> it either.  Why do you suppose Harris Intertype bought Gates in 1957?
> The handwriting was on the wall even then.

I know plenty about publishing.  I was referring to the technology of the
medium itself, not the business aspects of creating what goes on the
pages. Just look at how even magazines have advanced compared to
newspapers -- today's glossy full-color magazines are lightyears ahead of
the black-and-white newsprint magazines of yore.... yet, newspapers were
mostly black-and-white on newsprint 100 years ago, and they're still that
today.

And since you talk about all the computerized digital technology that goes
into making today's "analog" newspapers -- isn't the success of that
method an argument in favor of preserving our current scheme of using
digital technology to put an analog radio signal on the air?  Another
example of that is the motion picture industry -- they have all the latest
digital technology on the world, but the final product is still "analog"
photographic film run though a fancy version of Edison's movie projector.

And then you have the household landline telephone.  Where's that fiber
optic running into the home like everyone predicted a decade ago?  Once
again, no matter what kind of fancy digital technology Ma Bell may be
using, you're still using Edison-era analog technology when you pick up
your phone to make a call.

And what about cars?  I don't see those flying atomic-powered cars that
were on magazine covers in the '40s, and I don't see those zero-emissions
electric cars they predicted we would all be driving by the year 2000.
We're still rolling rubber tires on the ground and burning fossil fuels
through the same combustion cycles that Herr Otto and Herr Diesel invented
a long, long time ago.

In fact, we _tried_ electric cars, and it didn't work.  Now, the best that
they can make workable are hybrid cars.  Hmmm... "hybrid".  Where have we
heard that word before!?