[BC] Radaitors - Was: KKGM

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo
Tue Jul 19 10:27:42 CDT 2005

thanks vy much Peter; ever since I heard of franklins i have been facinated
by them.
What performance.  And what a feat of civil and electrical engineering to
put one up.
The maintenance must be a bear compared to a regular base fed stick.
I'll call the 179 deg. a franklin--close enough for gov. work.
Those 1500 khz franklins must be around 600 feet tall!

wish i had one on 160 m. for my ham station.

<<<50 kW into a Franklin gets you 99,241 watts out.>>>

And that's just the carrier!

Rob Atkinson

From: PeterH5322 at aol.com
To: broadcast at radiolists.net
Subject: Re:  RE: [BC] Radaitors - Was: KKGM
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 00:09:30 EDT

 >wow, what station ever ran a true 180 over 180 (franklin)?  are they still
 >being used?

Very much in use.

Two stations; one with radiators classified as true Franklins; one with a
radiator classified as a sectional, but with the performance of a
Franklin.

1) KSTP/1500; 179 over 179; 510 mV/m/kW at 1 km; ND, used days only;
classified as a sectional as it is not 180 over 180; site somewhat
separated from night site, but not considered "two site", and

2) KFBK/1530; 180 over 180; estimated ND performance 510 mV/m/kW at 1 km;
two identical radiators in DA-2 configuration; only ones I am aware of
which are classified as true Franklins, although other "Franklin type"
radiators, including KSTP's, are known to exist.

The effective performance of a Franklin can be seen by comparing it to a
minimum conforming Class A radiator, 362.10 mV/m/kW at 1 km.

50 kW into a minimum conforming radiator get you 50,000 watts out.

50 kW into a Franklin gets you 99,241 watts out.

Who says there is no free lunch?

Now, if the U.S. would allow its Class As to use full "Rio" daytime
power, 100 kW ...

100 kW into a minimum conforming radiator would get you 100,000 watts out.

100 kW into a Franklin would get you 198,482 watts out.

http://www.radiolists.net/