[BC] KKGM

Richard Fry rfry
Tue Jul 19 04:51:02 CDT 2005

Dan Strassberg:
>What is the efficiency of a 263+-degree radiator SUPPOSED to be (in mV/m/kW
>@ 1 km), assuming a normal (120 quarter-wave-radial) ground system?  It is
>presumably less than the efficiency of a 225-degree radiator with the same
>ground configuration. I have never seen theoretical efficiencies for
>standard series-fed radiators of heights greater than 225 degrees
>(approximately 440 mV/m/kW @ 1 km). Also, what does the vertical-plane
>radiation pattern look like?

A quick NEC analysis of a ~264 degree vertical radiator shows an FCC
efficiency of about 325 mV/m for 1 kW at 1 km.  The elevation pattern from
it has a large lobe centered at 49 degrees elevation, which is about 32
degrees wide between 1/2-power points.  The peak gain of the skylobe is
about the same as in the horizontal plane.

Although that big skylobe isn't so great, this electrical height actually
has about 0.35dB more gain or efficiency in the horizontal plane than a
1/4-wave vertical does (5.5dBi vs 5.15dBi).

RF