[BC] Turntable arms

Rich Wood richwood
Mon Jul 18 15:17:27 CDT 2005

------ At 02:45 PM 7/18/2005, Jerry Mathis wrote: -------

>Ah, fond memories of my first radio Engineering job. I remember
>those Gray tone arms. I hated them, too, because if you had a warped
>record, they would bounce and skip all over the place. We had the
>Shure M44-7 cartridges and needles, though. Being at the time of the
>stripe that everything should be as originally designed, I found
>some of the "viscus (sp?) damping fluid" and installed it in the
>cup, and played with the adjustment.

God intended Gray tone arms to be installed on Gates 16" turntables
with GE cartridges. I'm surprised a Shure M44-7 would survive
installation in a Gray. The GE was built like a tank and would
support the nickels and quarters we'd use for precise tracking. The
Grays I worked with could withstand the vibration of two Maggies and
the lock lever on the Spotmaster cart machine. It would only skip
when the RCA 44-BX pulled the ceiling mount down (the ceiling came
with it). The Altec 639Bs would cause a skip when the newsman tipped
one over and broke his arm. I think the transmitter was microphonic
enough to pick up his screams of pain.

The Western Electric 443A-1 1Kw transmitter could actually pass the
rumble and bangs of this delicate equipment. It even survived a
direct lightning strike at its base through a window. The UPI
Teletype machine  paper caught fire right next to it. We were at 1570
and would disappear down the street at sunset. They destroyed its
charm when it was increased to 50Kw and moved to 640. WDEW,
Westfield, MA. Slogan was W-Dew. It's now held captive by Clear
Channel. It's the only 50K in Western MA.

Rich

Rich Wood
Rich Wood Multimedia
Phone: 413-303-9084