[BC] Turntable arms

Jerry Mathis thebeaver32
Mon Jul 18 13:47:05 CDT 2005

Ah, fond memories of my first radio Engineering job. I remember those Gray
tone arms. I hated them, too, because if you had a warped record, they would
bounce and skip all over the place. We had the Shure M44-7 cartridges and
needles, though. Being at the time of the stripe that everything should be
as originally designed, I found some of the "viscus (sp?) damping fluid" and
installed it in the cup, and played with the adjustment.

Wow! That tonearm was **wonderful**. Tracked even warped records properly.
We had MUCH less trouble with bounces and skips with that viscus damping
fluid installed. I like it much better that the Microtrash tonearm on the
other turntable. You remember that one, the long skinny wooden toothpick
with the metal shell on the end? If you didn't handle it carefully, the head
support ridges carved into the toothpick would break off, then you could
NEVER keep the cartridge head on properly.

Jerry Mathis
Clear Channel Radio, Tupelo & Meridian MS