[BC] Analog Longevity

CBoone CBoone
Sun Jul 17 19:57:48 CDT 2005

GSM is an enhanced/advanced version of TDMA...but they are not
compatible...so if the carriers don't have enough systems in place for GSM,
yes you will see that....eventually, the two protocols will be GSM and CDMA
(which Sprint is the biggest user).
Some trimode phones can run GSM or fallback to TDMA if there is no GSM
channels operational...
Cingular is mixed GSM and TDMA but going GSM....ATT Wireless was TDMA but
slowly being converted to GSM since Cingular bought them. Nextel is iDEN but
will likely go CDMA on their new freqs since they are owned by Sprint now.