[BC] Daytime IBOC, Nighttime C-Quam

Kevin Tekel amstereoexp
Sun Jul 17 17:13:46 CDT 2005

Chuck Hutton wrote:
> I'm curious about broadcaster's reactions to this. It's my understanding
> that this is the first time iBiquity said the hybrid AM mode would be
> mono and never anything more. Right or wrong?

The *analog* portion of the hybrid AM IBOC signal is indeed mono-only, but
the digital portion can be stereo -- although with only 36 kbps to work
with, stations may choose to use the full digital stream for
higher-quality mono audio, rather than marginal-quality stereo audio.

And speaking of which, I just noticed that two FM music stations in my
area are transmitting their audio in mono, although the "stereo" indicator
light remains lit.  Perhaps this is because today's car radios blend FM
audio to mono so quickly and so often that it would be less annoying to
listeners if stations just transmitted their audio in mono to begin with?