[BC] Progress?

Tonne tonne
Sat Jul 16 19:10:26 CDT 2005

I did a similar thing in Roswell, New Mexico.

The contest was called "Add em up"

After a newscast and just prior to jumping into
a rock n roll record he would punch up a cart
with a highly processed "ADD EM UP" sound.

You had to listen to the weather forcast and
add up yesterday's high, today's high and the
forcast for tomorrow's high and then subtract
91 (!).  This was done only in the evenings,
obviously.

First caller in with the correct answer won.
Always LOTS of replies.

This was one of numerous schemes thought up
(I will take credit for many of them) to get people
to LISTEN.

Similarly, how many times did an advertiser's
name appear in his commercial, etc.

Childish, perhaps, but we were looking for the
"KOMA" mentality and it worked.

I point out that at the time such nonsense was
running the station had 65% of the radio advertising
dollars for the market.  That, dear reader, was and
is the bottom line.

It was an interactive station, local content, local
talent, local fun.  It was fun to be a part of it.

This was on the station that was owned by the
fellow with the "three legged milkstool" philosophy.

Then, in 1965, I moved to Moseley Associates.

- JimT