[BC] Progress?

tosenkowsky@prodigy.net tosenkowsky
Sat Jul 16 18:23:55 CDT 2005

>"OK gang, we'll take five to pay the bills while you get
>another cold brew, then we'll be back with another
>TEN-IN-A-ROW commercial free. Remember at KRAP we run
>all our commercials together so you can run away while
>they play."
>And they wonder why sponsors move on to something else.

I ran a successful contest where people had to LISTEN to songs and answer
questions in order to win. For example, in the Cowsills "The Rain The Park
and Other Things" most people thought the title was "The Flower Girl". Q:
How many times is the title of this song mentioned in the song? First
correct caller wins. Later variation was to name other song title(s) that
were part of the lyrics in the song playing. For example, "Angel of the
Morning" mentions "Blinded By The Light". After several successful months
of this, I set up a bonus plan with sponsors by having people call in with
details mentioned in their ads. For example, in a Bonanizer from My Bob's
Discount Furniture, what kind of wood is it made of? It made people LISTEN
to the spots to win. Listeners get PAID to listen to spots. An easy sell,
and many advertisers gave me gift cards or discount cuopons as on-air
prizes.

Make the spots a positive, an attraction. Not a negative or a tune out!

Tom Osenkowsky, CPBE