[BC] RE: IBOC - AM stereo

Chuck Hutton charlesh3
Sat Jul 16 14:56:59 CDT 2005

Do I recall that NRSC-5 mentions only a mono service for AM? Or was my quick
scan mistaken?

Chuck

On 14 Jul 2005 at 10:21, Scott Cason wrote:

> I'm listening.  And I have been trying to understand.  But I still don't
get
> it.  It keeps coming across to me that we need to broadcast digital to
> broadcast digital.

Try it this way. Broadcast receivers are about the only analog electronic
equipment left, and in a few years analog electronic manufacture will be
history.

DSP opens up new paths in receiver technology.

FM/VHF can have multiple services on a single channel with digital.

FM/VHF can have surround sound with digital.

AM/MF remains de facto a mono service bombarded by dial overcrowding,
power line noise and restricted bandwidth.

AM/MF can have stereo with digital

AM/MF can eliminate background noise and expand b/w with digital

National security requires that we keep a working MF system intact.

IBOC is essential as a migration path using the same spectrum;
a) because broadcasters want the status quo of coverage maintained
b) because broadcasters don't want to pay for new spectrum