[BC] The solution to the IBOC dilemma: "XFM"!

Rich Wood richwood
Sat Jul 16 09:13:35 CDT 2005

------ At 04:46 PM 7/15/2005, Phil Alexander wrote: -------

>Moving on to full digital as soon as possible.

It has no unique selling point. It has no coordinated advertising
campaign. It has no receivers on the shelf. If iBiquity expects radio
stations to take newspaper and TV ads to promote it, they're smoking
some damn good weed (most of the promo money is going to the license
fee). I believe we're talking about a very, very long time before
analog goes away. Considering the fact that there's no upside for
consumers to pay for expensive receivers to receive the same thing
they get now, how long do you think it'll be before analog is shut
off and additional poorly programmed channels can be added?

I think we have to face the fact that analog broadcasting has a long
and prosperous future ahead of it.

>Right. Lose the over the horizon capability of MW for VHF and leave the
>country crippled in time of disaster. Some solution. Right now, if all
>of Florida goes out in a hurricane, WSB is on the air. Really!

Would a station in Nashville really be the only source of information
for all of Florida? What you seem to be suggesting is that existing
FM stations in Florida would be useless in a disaster. Yes, they
might still be playing Jack but there'd at least be some
entertainment while you watched your posessions fly away.

>Any station that wants to can run from FLAT to 75 us NOW. Pre-emphasis has
>been optional for several year.

If you run flat aren't you going to end up with a muddy high end at
the receiver?

Rich

Rich Wood
Rich Wood Multimedia