[BC] WLW--when it was 500 kW

Jellison, Paul PaulJellison
Thu Jul 14 19:54:04 CDT 2005

Hello guys, I was sorting some emails and I just happened to look in.
Rare now days for me. I hope I can answer some questions about the WLW
site. Since I get the digest I don't easily reply to the list without
allot of cut and paste.
   There were originally two towers at WLW to suppress the radiation
towards Ontario Canada. I do not think they were passive as there were
open wire feed lines running across Tylersville Road (when it was 2 lane
gravel) on poles and insulators. But this could have been part of the
system to run on the tower as a Auxiliary in case the main tower needed
maintenance. Both towers were south of Tylersville and West of Reading
road (SR 42). The first of the two towers were removed early on after
the cessation of the 500 KW operations. The second tower was used as an
auxiliary and finally dismantled in the Late 70's or early 80's upon the
divestiture of the Everybody's Farm land South of the site.
   The experimental call of the 500 KW rig was W8XO. It is held by a ham
in Mason now. WLWO was the shortwave operation. There were several
rhombics from the shortwave coupling house that is still near the rear
of the property.  I am told there was one South East and one South west.
There was a 1 kw propagation beacon running on 6030 KHZ for several
years from a vertical in the front yard of the transmitter building. The
hidden foundations on the west end of the property are for the original
50 KW 700 flat top. The current Auxiliary 88 degree shunt fed tower is
located at the building that was the feed point up to the old flat top
antenna. It was erected in 1998. There are also foundations buried about
18 inches below the ground surface between the residence and the garage
that were the old piers for the WSAI flattop that was fed from the
Residence. You can see them in the dry season of summer.
   I have found evidence of the 500 KW rig being maintained into the
60's. IE rotating equipment serviced on a regular basis. There was a
push to get the transmitter licensed to 625 KW using modern ceramic
tubes in that era. Since the plate and modulation transformers would
have allowed 100% modulation operation to that power level. But once the
FCC broke up the clears and started allowing other stations access to
the channels they gave up the fight and stopped maintaining it.
   When we put the 3dx50 Harris Box in at WWVA they tore out a Gates
vp-100 rig and a 317 Continental. Although I am told the VP 100 would do
good to make 10 or 20 KW upon retirement it was a 100 KW rig at one
time. But it was never licensed for more than 50 to my Knowledge.

Hope that helps in the WLW discussion.
73,

Paul Jellison
Regional V-P engineering
Clear Channel Radio Rocky Mountain Territory
4695 South Monaco St.
Denver, CO 80237

Message: 13