[BC] Re: Time Signals

DHultsman5@aol.com DHultsman5
Sat Jul 16 08:11:20 CDT 2005

In a message dated 7/15/05 10:19:10 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
broadcast-request at radiolists.net writes:

Or  they could just take the stupid time tones off the air.  What  consultant
came up with THAT idea.  Are we not smart enough to set out  clocks and
watched to The Weather Channel anymore?

Scott  Cason

************************************
Many stations in the world give time signals regularly.  It is not  another
consultants gimmick or maybe it was.  WWV?

Have you heard the audio and promotions MP3  that was posted on this  list
sometime back for WWV?  Very funny.   Our society is very  time oriented.   Time
management is the secret of success of  many.  Time is valuable and cannot be
stored,  its use can be  programmed for the better.

Radio Relo in Cuba runs news on many channels and has a constant seconds
ticking in the background,  They beep every minute,  The network is  very
popular.   Big Ben on the BBC had been a worldwide tradition on  the top of the hour.
  CBS's  hourly time tone had been around as  long as I can remember.  WSM in
Nashville used to run four tones, one on  the hour, the quarter hour, half
hour and three quarter hour. All the tones were  different and you began to
noticed time by the radio.

WWV and CHU are precision time and frequency standards.  Nearly every
country has a Time & Frequency standard station.

The stable of radio for many years,  via all the consultants was get  people
to work on time and push time and temperature in the mornings.

I don't think "stupid" is a timely description.

Dave