[BC] IBOC

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Sat Jul 16 02:04:40 CDT 2005

On 14 Jul 2005 at 10:21, Scott Cason wrote:

> I'm listening.  And I have been trying to understand.  But I still don't get
> it.  It keeps coming across to me that we need to broadcast digital to
> broadcast digital.

Try it this way. Broadcast receivers are about the only analog electronic
equipment left, and in a few years analog electronic manufacture will be
history.

DSP opens up new paths in receiver technology.

FM/VHF can have multiple services on a single channel with digital.

FM/VHF can have surround sound with digital.

AM/MF remains de facto a mono service bombarded by dial overcrowding,
power line noise and restricted bandwidth.

AM/MF can have stereo with digital

AM/MF can eliminate background noise and expand b/w with digital

National security requires that we keep a working MF system intact.

IBOC is essential as a migration path using the same spectrum;
a) because broadcasters want the status quo of coverage maintained
b) because broadcasters don't want to pay for new spectrum

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037