[BC] AM listenership (was IBOC)

Scott Cason scott
Fri Jul 15 09:07:27 CDT 2005

> automated/syndicated programming.  People left AM because they got tired
of
> bucket-mouthed personalities and crap fidelity and went to FM, never to
> return.  Better fidelity always wins.

But look at the numbers AM talk radio is generating now.  Those who left AM
for FM are maturing and coming back to AM for the ..........(wait for
it)...........PROGRAMMING.  Regardless of if you agree with it or not, talk
radio, and to a large extent Rush Limbaugh, saved AM radio.  Talk on AM had
been tried before (remember NBC Talks!), but until Limbaugh came along and
showed the rest of the world how it should be done, AM was heading for the
trash heap of the broadcasting community.
Just another way to prove my point.  Program what the listeners want to hear
and they will listen regardless of how that programming is delivered.  Up
until a few years ago, all listeners had was FM for music, for the most
part.  But now there are other outlets vying for those ears.  And FM
broadcasters need to clean up their act if they wanna keep those listeners.
FM operators have gotten fat and lazy since they have been the only game in
town.

Scott Cason
President
LaGrange Communications, LLC