[BC] Top Ten reasons why IBOC won't make much difference...

Alan Kline akline
Thu Jul 14 23:37:44 CDT 2005

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005, Ron Castro wrote:

> What these folks had in common is that they all witnessed *massive* losses
> on their audiences to FM, which at the time was mostly a juke-box with
> automated/syndicated programming.  People left AM because they got tired of
> bucket-mouthed personalities and crap fidelity and went to FM, never to
> return.  Better fidelity always wins.

Does it?  How many comments have we seen which favor the fidelity of good
ol' analog FM over digital radio?  Yet the industry is worrying itself
sick over the loss of audience, and particularly frothing over satellite
and iPods. If fidelity wins over all, then FM should be in good shape, not
trying desperation formats like Jack, Phil, or whatever.

FM today is *still* (or has returned to being) "a juke-box with
automated/syndicated programming"--especially the "Jack" formats.  How can
that work when people can get their own version of that with their iPod's,
or whatever, with no commercials?