[BC] IBOC

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Thu Jul 14 11:38:31 CDT 2005

On 13 Jul 2005 at 20:13, Bill Harms wrote:

> Barry:
> 	I assume you mean the extended band 1610-1700 khz.  I think that would be
> a good idea and something that should be looked at more carefully.  I understand
> about the expanded band being opened up before IBOC was introduced, but this
> would have been a good opportunity if it would have started from the ground floor.
>
> Bill Harms
>
> On 13 Jul 2005 at 17:01, Barry Mishkind wrote:
>
> >          ... or perhaps "re-write" the AM Stereo requirement
> >          for expanded band to IBOC?

It appears that an X-band station may transmit either AMS or IBOC
as they choose. However, the two are incompatible so they must
choose one or the other.

With a few exceptions, X-band stations make ideal "plug-n-play"
candidates for IBOC considering; new transmitters that can be
converted to IBOC, and simple transmission system with short
average tower height that lends itself to the needed bandwidth.
Additionally, the b/w to Cf ratio is lower. Most of them should
be able to transmit IBOC with transmitter mods to accept the
exciter output and a little cusp rotation adjustment at the
Tx output.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037