[BC] Analog Longevity

Gary Peterson kzerocx
Thu Jul 14 08:08:17 CDT 2005

I still carry/use an analog cell phone.  It is much more reliable, than most
digital cell phones I have tried, when used to access dial-up remote
controls at transmitter sites.  I've been told analog will go away, here in
western SD, in a couple of years.

I have wondered if DTMF tones are generated within the digital cell phone or
if they are created at the cell site.  No one at the cellular company has
been able to tell me.  I'm searching for an explanation as to why my remote
controls don't like tones from digital cell phones (CDMA here).

Gary, K?CX

" Lots of posts on 'keeping analog alive'... or not.  I have
a quick quasi-related question.  Does anyone know if
today's cell sites still accept calls from analog phones?

Jim Wood "