[BC] re; IBOC

Tom Taggart tpt
Wed Jul 13 17:31:44 CDT 2005

Scott Cason wrote:

"The "mom and pop's" I have come across out in the "sticks" are doing just
fine without IBOC.  Funny thing, once you get outside the "big city",
stations seem to be more concerned about what's going on in their
communities.  They offer more news and local programming.  People listen.
Stations make (a little) money.  And they are doing it without IBOC.
There's a lesson to learn in there somewhere.  The corporates and
manufactures are whipping up everyone in to a frenzy over IBOC, but the
smaller stations keep chugging along with their 30 year old transmitters
and 20 year old studios."

Entirely true! Still have a 1974 transmitter and 2 studios built 1983~1984
when we built the station from ground up. Control room built in 1983 with
an Autogram 8 channel, Optimod 8100 & 2.5 K.  We used a System 90 to run
AC music on tape off of 4 ARS-1000's.  The ARS-1000's are in storage, the
System 90 in its grave, while the Autogram was moved to the new production
studio in 1984 (where it still resides but is getting replaced this
year).  Studios also due to be replaced this summer, well, freshened up.
Looking at new wallpaper today, our original secretary (from 1983
sign-on), --now the sales manager, thinks she has a client who will trade
everything.

Harris 2.5 K replaced in '88 with a Harris 10K, (Class A to B-1); 8100
sold to buy an Omnia 3; present console is an Auditronics 2500; the 2.5 K
is somewhere in north-central Indiana now. Second station built in 2000
with a 1974 2.5H & MX-15 (now Continental 802A).  Our landlord for that
tower site says all his colleagues at the plant are tuning it in since we
went classic rock last year.

We do dozens of remotes, sometimes three a day, like this weekend.  Most
tied in with community fundraisers (such as A.Cancer Society's Relay for
life); or the dozens of volunteer fire dept. fairs, & community
festivals.  Play-by play guys meeting as I write to hammer out this fall's
H.S. FB games (probably 14 or 15 total, we cover six schools).  Did coats
for kids last year with some thirty different store locations for our
barrels. We're a suburban station, but our local sales figures run near
the top half in the Miller-Kaplan of our nearby 15 station rated market.

IBOC? We don't need no stinking IBOC!