[BC] 500 kHz and distress signals.

Barry McLarnon bdm
Wed Jul 13 16:35:16 CDT 2005

On Tuesday 12 July 2005 22:04, John Vodenik wrote:
> Don't know if anybody other that me is listening, but KPH is BOOMING in
> to my place right now.  Running S-9 + 30 on 6477.5 Kc.  I heard the
> start at 0001 GMT on 8642 Kc.  Bad propagation on that frequency.  KPH
> is probably 250 air miles from me here in Delano.  Now, I just wish I
> could copy this fast !!!  73 y'all

I was listening, and it was a real nostalgia trip.  I used to listen to KPH
and other marine stations when I was a kid, mostly for code practice.
Last night I was able to copy KPH, WLO, KLB, KSM and NMC... NOJ in Alaska
was the only no-show, probably due to recent solar activity.  I listened
in as the ops at KPH and WLO chatted with some shipboard ops... I wonder
how many of them can still work CW?  My CW skills are a bit rusty, but I
had no problem copying last night... it's like riding a bicycle, I guess.
All stations were heard on HF frequencies... nothing at all heard on 500
kHz.

For other nostalgia buffs who missed last night's event, here's the marker
that KPH was running last night:

VVV VVV VVV DE KPH KPH KPH QSX 500/4/6/8/12/16/22 CH3 QRU? K

73,

Barry

--

Barry McLarnon VE3JF  Ottawa, ON