[BC] Weirdo dials /was/ ABC Network in the wired days

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Wed Jul 13 10:07:34 CDT 2005

On 12 Jul 2005 at 23:08, Rob Atkinson wrote:

> you mean when it would go clang?  :  )  you had to put the needle down
> because there was no time to cue and x ur fingers right?  kind of
> embarrassing on the (hopefully rare) occasions when it would get to the
> music before getting speed.

It's been too many years to be sure, but the way I remember it, there
was one clunk when the adapter planetary dropped out after you switched
from 45 to 33-78, and another clunk and muted clang when you grabbed
the lever at the edge of the platter and down shifted from 78 to 33.

All the RCA's I knew had the speed adapter kits and light weight tone
arms with the little red, green and blue plug-in cartridges about the
size of a postage stamp. Those were easy to work with because you could
see the stylus at the front - - unlike the GE VR-II where it was hidden
back underneath. I hated those GE's, especially when they were mounted
in viscous damped Gray tone arms. <g>

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037