[BC] More available spectrum when TV goes digital.

Bill Harms wharms
Tue Jul 12 18:10:07 CDT 2005

This following is from the article which appears at this URL:
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/050712/3/3tfmu.html

The government wants to sell the old airwaves used by broadcasters to wireless
companies and provide some of them for public safety communications. The sale
could also reap billions of dollars and potentially fill a budget gap.

<snip>

Does this mean there will be more spectrum available once TV goes digital?  If that
is true, why not convert the spectrum over to digital radio broadcasting and leave AM
and FM analog alone?  I say this because I had heard that one of the objections to
putting digital radio on another piece of spectrum was that there was no spectrum
available.

Bill Harms
Elkridge, Maryland