[BC] A Change of Topic on Network News Feeds

Fred Morton radioguy
Tue Jul 12 08:26:04 CDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stanley Adams" <stanleybadams at yahoo.com>
To: <broadcast at radiolists.net>
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 7:17 AM
Subject: [BC] A Change of Topic on Network News Feeds

> Just as a cot, do any of you buckeroo's or buckerette's remember when the
> networks went from the poor 8kc loops (at best) to better multiplexed
> audio
> even before satellites?  It seems to me to have happened about 1974-75 in
> our part of the country.  Suddenly the audio came alive on network feeds.
>
> I was living in a little town at the time and noticed that this was both
> on
> radio and on TV feeds.  Perhaps it was just a regional thing, but I do not
> remember it that way.  Seems like a major upgrade and the newspapers had
> stories about it.
>
> Stanley Adams
> Memphis

Many years ago, I worked at the ABC affiliate in Lawton/Wichita Falls. Our
audio was delivered by 5 kHz equalized loop thanks to SW Bell. I believe
that was the norm in many parts of the country. By the mid to late 1970s, I
had moved to Oklahoma City, and it was during this time period that audio
improved dramatically. I believe it had something to do with multiplexing
audio with the video signals everyone got on terrestrial microwave. The CBS
and ABC affiliates changed first, with the NBC station changing a couple of
weeks later. Huge difference going back and forth between the three
stations.

Fred Morton, CSRE
Houston