[BC] Re: WTOP-AM and HD radio

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Mon Jul 11 17:42:32 CDT 2005

On 11 Jul 2005 at 14:44, Rich Wood wrote:

> I'm sure they're paying a pretty penny for streaming their Internet Federal
> Radio. Adding it to their IBOC signal won't cost nearly as much and
> listeners won't have to be tied to their desktops. In 3010 when analog is
> gone and there are portable receivers available it should work well.

<gggggg>

> Question: will multiple channels be available on AM IBOC with analog?

No.

> Without analog?

At some point the kids of the people who figured out how to put
50 kBaud over a phone line that the world knew could handle no more
than 1200 Baud (remember when that was "high speed") will probably
figure a way of increasing the throughput of an AM signal to carry
another channel. After all, you are giving them 1000 years to do it. <g>

If not, are the FM signals enough to cover the market?

Some markets are geographically too big for anything less than a "C"
and are restricted to a "B" - look at NYC and Chicago if you consider
the entire metro. I'm not sure a "C" can cover LA/San Diego but I
know MW can.

Once upon a time we understood a 10:1 power differential between AM
and FM ERP.  With full digital, MW coverage per watt will be even
better.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037