[BC] X-Band antennas

Mark Humphrey mark3xy
Mon Jul 11 17:24:16 CDT 2005

Neal,

You aroused my curiosity (and I know which station you
refer to) so I just looked up the application.

True, the predicted coverage area will decrease, but
service population goes way up -- the new site is only
7 miles from downtown Philadelphia!

My guess is that the owner decided in favor of the
unipole, rather than insulated base series-fed, to
make it simpler to lease tower space to land
mobile/cellular tenants.  No need for isocouplers.

There is apparently a right-of-way limitation that
prevents 1/4 wave radials from being installed.  I see
the FCC flagged the application for that reason;
that's why it was amended to specify lower theoretical
efficiency, despite the increase in tower height.

So you are correct -- it probably won't cover the same
distance -- but the license value goes *way* up
because it becomes a defacto Philadelphia station.
And, of course this change is "in the public interest"
because poor old Lindenwold, NJ finally gets a first
local service!

Mark

--- "Neal Newman <groucho at skyweb.net>"