[BC] Can traditional AM and IBOC co-exist?

PeterH5322@aol.com PeterH5322
Sun Jul 10 20:35:24 CDT 2005

>So, yes, if your objective
>is the PICN as stated in the Act of '34, regional coverage is important,
>especially west of the Mississippi excepting three fourths of Texas
>where the geography is more like the eastern states, but if you look at
>it as commercial interests seem to today, there are not enough people in
>white areas, or even gray areas to matter to the kids placing time buys.

Seven of the ten most populated U.S. cities are in the southwest, far
west of the Mississippi, and far south of the Mason-Dixon Line, and are
concentrated in only three states, too.

#2 - Los Angeles, CA - 2 Class As, both ND-U - pop. 3.8M

#4 - Houston, TX - no Class As - pop. 2.0 M

#6 - Phoenix, AZ - no Class As - pop. 1.4M

#7 - San Diego, CA - no Class As - pop. 1.3M

#8 - San Antonio, TX, 1 Class A, ND-U - pop. 1.2M

#9 - Dallax, TX - 1 Class A, DA-N - pop. 1.2M

#10 - San Jose, CA - no Class As - pop. 0.9M

Clearly, the '34 act is not fulfilling its letter nor its intent, and
most of the Eastern Class As should be taken off-air (or be reduced in
Class to B) and their Class A allocations should be moved to the West.

Any 21st century allocation scheme should take into account the realities
of the movement West, and should toss into the toilet whatever sweetheart
deals were made in the 1920s, and which gave 21 of the 25 U.S. Class I-As
to eastern cities (and 23 of the 25 to cities east of the Rocky
Mountains).

FWIW ...

#1 - New York, NY - 6 Class As, 3 ND-U, 1 DA-N, 1 DA-1, 1 DA-2 - pop. 8.1M

#3 - Chicago, IL - 5 Class As, 4 ND-U, 1 DA-2 - pop. 2.9M

#5 - Philadelphia, PA - 2 Class As, 1 ND-U, 1 DA-1 - pop. 1.5M