[BC] Lead-free component worries

C. Park Seward park
Sun Jul 10 16:00:33 CDT 2005

This may be of interest to many on this list. These are from the
Ampex mailing list and the first quote was written by Brian Roth:

"As the Europeans phase in their "RoHS" (Reduction of Hazardous
Substances) regulations next year, there is a serious upheaval going
on in the electronics industry, mainly concerned with the use of Pb
(lead) in things like component lead coatings, solder, etc.

I was complaining about how bad lead-free solder is to use, but there
now seems to be a MUCH larger issue as many component part
manufacturers may discontinue entire lines of parts with conventional
wiring leads.  Commonly referred as "through hole" components, these
would be things like resistors, caps, ICs, etc with conventional
leads vs. surface mount.

IOW, those 1/2 Watt resistors, electrolytic caps, etc we use to
repair things like Ampex machines *might* soon disappear.  New
production vacuum tubes are also at risk since they use "hazardous"
metals in the construction.

I suggest we all pay VERY close attention to these rapidly changing
developments.  If the
manufacturers of "conventional" pro audio gear are worried, we should
be as well."

Bob Groschen says:

"Before anybody gets excited, the move from Pb-Sn solder to matte Sn on
leaded components is relatively painless for the component
manufacturers.
Plus, this finish is backward compatible with conventional Pb-Sn
soldering."

And this entertaining quote from Kurt Greske:

"        This whole lead in the landfill crap is a bunch of BS from the
start.  Where the hell do they think they got the lead from in the first
place, Disneyland???  Lead isn't soluble in normal temperature and pH
water,
you can use lead water pipes in your house for your lifetime until
you die
naturally from old age.  It appears to me that people, in general, were
statistically significantly smarter a hundred years ago when they DID
use
lead water pipes than they are now with plastic pipe!!!!!!!!

         However, I've given up trying to point out logic to
bureaucrats.
They have WAY too much lead encrusted between their ears!!!"

C. Park Seward
Visit us at http://www.videopark.com