[BC] All American Five

wfifeng@aol.com reader
Sun Jul 10 13:33:45 CDT 2005

In a message dated 07/10/2005 12:47:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
harold at hallikainen.com writes:

 > Trying to remember the other tubes... Was the mixer a 12BE6? Was there a
 >  12AX7 in there? I seem to recall the first audio amp having a rectifier in
 >  it that was used as the envelope detector.

No 12AX7. Remember, these were the days when they wanted to use seperate
envelopes for each tube, because more tubes meant it was a better radio!  Why
use a solid-state rectifier, and have "only" a 4-tube radio, when you could
have
a 5-tube?

It's just like the boast of many transistor radios in their day... "8
transistors!" with 3 of them used as diodes. Literally.

Willie...