[BC] RE: Gas Prices

Ron Youvan ka4inm
Sun Jul 10 00:11:21 CDT 2005

> The advantage of hybrids is in city traffic, where the electric engine
> does most of the work, especially at low speeds moving from one traffic
> bottelneck to another.  From the reviews I've seen, road milage for
> most  hybrids is not that much better than comparable gasoline models.

   True except:
   The "Honda Insight" with a Starting MSRP of $19,330 (5 speed manual
transmission) features an In-Line 3 Cylinder Aluminum Alloy 995 CC engine,
a 14 hp at 3000 rpm electric motor/generator, a 144 Volt (120 cells @ 1.2v)
6.5 Ah Nickel Metal Hydride (Ni-MH) Battery (NO air conditioner offered)
It has an aluminum body and low friction tires. etc.

  The EPA rates the fuel economy of the Honda Insight at 60/66 mpg the
highest EPA Fuel Economy Rating in 2005.

   Used Honda Insights sell for more than the new price because the demand
far exceeds the supply.
Every time it comes to a stop the engine dies, take off with the electric
motor starts the engine. I think it is only a two passenger car.
(I don't work for them, I researched them.)
see:   automobiles.honda.com/models/faqs.asp?ModelName=Insight
--
    Ron