[BC] Re: Octal based All American 5

DHultsman5@aol.com DHultsman5
Sat Jul 9 19:52:55 CDT 2005

In a message dated 7/9/05 1:07:07 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
broadcast-request at radiolists.net writes:

Right  about the Philco. They and Moto used Loctals. I don't know of anyone
else  using them. But tell me, what tubes were used for the octals to
add up to  120 V for a series string filament circuit?

I don't think I ever saw an  octal set without a power transformer and
6.3 V parallel filaments, and one  of the main characteristics of an AA5
was series filaments and rectified  line voltage to give 135-150 V B+.

Phil Alexander, CSRE,  AMD

***********

Phil the Hallicrafters S38-D  $59.95  Shortwave receiver was an  AC/DC using
the Octal based tubes.   There was also a ground and  antenna connection on
the back.  The AC cord had to be plugged in correctly  if you used the ground
terminal.  The metal case was isolated from the  chassis by rubber grommets.
However you could run into problems with  external items like ground terminal
and remote speaker or headphone jacks.  AAfter one or two shocks I also makrked
my plugs.

 Later on in life we used a ackiedack  for a radio monitor in a  radio
station.  I installed a 1:1 Isolation on the AC and also an output  transformer to
my audio equipment.

My folks had a 1940's Philco Console with Loctal tubes but it had a power
transformer.  The large 12 inch speaker had a filed coil winding that would
knock you on your but.

This radio had AM  old FM 30-40 mHz. and two shortwave bands.   Also had an
external antenna connection.  Playing with the shortwave in the  early '50's
got me interested in radio instead of being a train engineer.

Dave