[BC] FCC and Secret Service

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Sat Jul 9 20:33:33 CDT 2005

On 9 Jul 2005 at 16:27, Bruce Doerle wrote:

> Ron & Mario,
>
> Having worked for both the Commission and Secret Service,
> I understand the powers involved in this situation.  The
> FCC has authority to assign your frequencies from blocks
> that they have been authorized to license by NTIA.  Some
> blocks may be shared usage.  Now back after President
> Kennedy's death, Congress gave the USSS a considerable
> amount of power to protect the President.  There are no
> secrets that kept from the USSS if they believe that they
> are needed to protect the President.  Any government
> resource is available to them.  Sometimes, they can go
> overboard, but Congress gave them that power.

Sometimes the Secret Service can be absolutely loony.
A true story told to me by a frequency coordinator:

The Secret Service was involved in an event this fellow
was coordinating. The Secret Service had a problem with
interference from an unknown source in some of their channels
and complained to the coordinator, asking for help getting
the interference shut down. The coordinator said no problem,
he'd move them if he knew who was causing the interference
and asked what frequencies were involved. The reply was,
"We can't tell you that. Those frequencies are secret."

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037