[BC] Regulation at the State/Local level

Paul Christensen attorney
Sat Jul 9 07:48:40 CDT 2005

> 2. The FCC can delegate this authority to anyone they wish.

That was my response a few days ago in that *some* regulatory authority can
be delegated.  We oftentimes see this when the U.S. Constitution grants
Congress the authority to create government agencies - then Congress creates
the agencies, administered under the Executive Branch.

As long as Congress does not specifically preclude an agency from deferring
it's authority, then the agency can delegate a portion of that authority
where it deems necessary, including state governments.  We just don't see
this occur very often because of the nature of wanting to keep the
authoritative power within one's own "turf."

If the FCC is constructively including the state on enforcement issues, a
written instrument between the FCC and the state may not even be necessary.
The limits of deferment, and form of notice would be a good
precedent-setting issue to research under case law.

-Paul

Paul Christensen, CPBE
LAW OFFICE OF PAUL B. CHRISTENSEN, P.A.
3749 Southern Hills,  Jacksonville, Florida 32225
Office: (904) 379-7802   Facsimile: (904) 212-0050
pchristensen at ieee.org