[BC] WTOP-AM DA

Xen Scott xenscott
Fri Jul 8 23:40:18 CDT 2005

At 08:42 PM 7/8/05 -0400, Bob Carpenter wrote:

>I fear that WTOP moving father from DC would be a non-starter.  The
>present site doesn't really deliver a booming sig into DC - which I'd
>guess is why they are directional during the day, to get more sig
>toward DC. Our ground conductivity is pretty poor.  Someone with
>ancient records could verify whether they were ever ND-D/DA-N from the
>present site.

The FCC microfiche records I have show that on 3/13/40 WTOP-AM was
granted a license to cover a C.P. for 50kw and a directional antenna
for day and night use from the current Wheaton site.  On 7/16/40 they
were granted a modification of license to change the daytime directional
pattern.  Evidently they were never ND-D at 50kw, They were ND only
at their previous 10kw authorization.

>They have compensated by buying and duplicating on outer rimshot 107.7
>in Virginia, 820 in Frederick, and translator 104.3 in Leesburg, VA.
>
>What they need is 250 kW ;-)).

The FM gives them pretty good coverage for only being 30kw.  I get
a listenable signal on my Toyota Tundra radio from 88 miles south
in the foothills of the Blue Ridge mountains.  Their mono audio
modulation with no SCA helps.

Xen Scott