[BC] WLW--when was it last 500 kW?

PeterH5322@aol.com PeterH5322
Tue Jul 5 20:03:51 CDT 2005

>And today, are there any U.S. or Canadian AM stations capable of
>transmitting in excess of 50 kW?  For example, are any of the Class A's
>lavish enough to have a 100 kW transmitter loafing along at half-power?
>I know there are a number of Nautel 60 kW transmitters in service at 50 kW
>(or less), but I haven't heard of any stations having anything more
>powerful than that.

Theoretically, any Class A may operate 100/50, if such operation is
granted by the appropriate National authority.

XETRA's Tx is operating at 77 kW days and 50 kW nights.

This is legal under "Rio" as ex-Class I-Bs were changed to allow 100/50
operation (where as ex-Class I-As were grandfathered at their previous
power, if operated above 100/50).

Previously, Class I-Bs were limited to 50/50, except for the four which
operated 10/10.