[BC] WLW--when was it last 500 kW?

Bruce Doerle bdoerle
Tue Jul 5 19:28:53 CDT 2005

Barry,

You know that Delano is a shortwave site and not a mediumwave site.  No comparison on power!

Now John will know better, but let me take a stab at that.  I used to know each site, but it has been about 20 years since I worked in Frequency Division.

Doctor Bob's folley consisted of four HF arrays of 6x4 (?) dipoles and four 250 kW transmitters.  They can be phased together and I would suspect that the antennas have a gain of about 12db (maybe a bit more).  So the ERP (?) would be about 16MW when all four are phased together.  I believe that they did some experiments when they built it see about atmospheric heating.  Don't know what became of that, but the problem with Delano is the location.  Shooting down through Central America causes fading problems on the diagonal shots.  Bethany was always the better site for Latin America.  Greenville is not too bad.  My monitoring in Central America confirmed the fading problem.

John, did they ever build the turnstile antenna in Greenville?

Bruce

>>> barry at oldradio.com 07/05/05 7:37 PM >>>
John,

OK ... tell them how much you can put out from your facility, both TPO and ERP.

At 04:30 PM 7/5/2005, John Vodenik wrote