[BC] WLW--when was it last 500 kW?

Kevin Tekel amstereoexp
Tue Jul 5 18:17:16 CDT 2005

Phil Alexander wrote:
> BTW, IIRC, WLW was briefly on in the late 50's from midnight to 1 AM
> testing the 500 kW rig when Crosley applied for full time authorization.
> After the FCC denied Crosley, he sold the station not long afterward.

One thing I've wondered is, when was WLW's 500 kW transmitter last used on
the air?  It seems pretty certain that it was used in the manner you
describe during WWII and for some time afterward, but I haven't seen any
real evidence to verify when it was actually retired from service.  Some
say it was kept in operational condition through at least the early 1980s,
as part of a Cold War national security measure.  But others say it was
officially retired in the '50s and basically became a museum piece after
its last experimental license had expired.

And today, are there any U.S. or Canadian AM stations capable of
transmitting in excess of 50 kW?  For example, are any of the Class A's
lavish enough to have a 100 kW transmitter loafing along at half-power?
I know there are a number of Nautel 60 kW transmitters in service at 50 kW
(or less), but I haven't heard of any stations having anything more
powerful than that.