[BC] 750-kW Class IA AMs

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Tue Jul 5 00:31:28 CDT 2005

On 4 Jul 2005 at 18:09, Dan Strassberg wrote:

> But the day signal in Boston and the immediate area,
> though still the best in the market, would actually have taken a hit.
> Currently, transmitting from Hull, WBZ, according to the V-Soft signal
> stength by Zip code Web site, delivers almost 300 mV/m to Winthrop. Winthrop
> is on a peninsula that juts into Mass Bay (or Boston Harbor) and is a
> straight shot across salt water from WBZ's transmitter, which must be about
> 10 miles away. Believe it or not, the 750 kW directional signal, whose
> inverse-distance field at 1 mile in the direction of Boston would have
> exceeded 10V/m, would have been down to something like 150 mV/m 70 miles
> away. That is, at the waterfront in Boston or Winthrop, the 15X power
> increase coupled with the move of approximately 60 miles to the southeast
> would have cut the signal in half.

Dan,

Taking the conductivity of sea water into account, the distance becomes
somewhat incidental when there is a water path. My concern would have
been the very poor conductivity on the cape itself. That thing is nothing
but a big sandbar with some rocks thrown in.

Installing and maintaining a good ground system out there for a .75 MW
station would be interesting to say the least. To make best use of the
site they would need to be in the salt marshes on the bay side.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037