[BC] EAS and War of the Worlds

Fred Gleason fredg
Mon Jul 4 21:35:19 CDT 2005

On Monday 04 July 2005 13:43, Ron Castro wrote:
> I saw the film last night, and noticed that same scene.  My though was:
> wow! Another disaster and the damned system STILL doesn't work worth a
> crap! Talk about reality....

Indeed.  I can remember sitting in my office in Arlington VA (about 1-2 mi
from the Pentagon) on 9/12/2001, listening to an EAS test on one of the DC
LP-1s.  It was an eerie feeling, seeing as the system hadn't been activated
at all the previous day.  It was within 24-48 hours of that that the FCC
issued their notice 'suspending' tests.  I don't know this for a fact, but I
rather suspect that it was that test in DC that led to that decision.

Hurray for the FCC.  I feel safer -- don't you?

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. | Director of Broadcast Software Development  |
|                           |             Salem Radio Labs                |
|     Government [is] an illusion the governed should not encourage.      |
|                                         -- John Updike                  |
|                                            "Couples"                    |