[BC] WSJ on replacing Howard Stern

Rich Wood richwood
Fri Jul 1 21:29:33 CDT 2005

------ At 09:18 PM 7/1/2005, WFIFeng at aol.com wrote: -------

>I don't need to walk up to, pick up, and sniff a dog turd to know what it
>is. I've not listened to a whole show (couldn't stomach it) but suffice it
>to say, I HAVE heard enough to positively identify it for myself as "dog
>turd". I don't need to do any more sampling. ;)

We learn from experience. Since I haven't found a clear description of the
end result of canine digestion in the Bible I assume you've personally
encountered it at some point in your life. Otherwise your reaction to it
wouldn't be so negative.

>Also, I tend to be more selective in my choices of reliable critics with
>regards to movies, media, etc. I listen to the reviews of those who have
>actually
>SEEN a flick or heard a program

What kind of critics? Must they have religious connections and see
everything through those eyes or can they be "civilians" with a less
restrictive view of purity? Are you willing to take that risk?

>BTW, does Howard make random call-outs? A few months ago, someone claiming to
>be him called my station. I figured it was a prank and responded accordingly.
>He hung up! :) If it WAS him, it would have been MORE satisfying if I had
>said "Yeah, right!" and hung up first! ;)

I don't think Howard makes the calls himself. His fans certainly do.
Virtually every Talk show engineer and producer has a finger on the dump
(no relation to the dog) button to catch the "Baba Booey" before it hits
the air. Almost everyone in Talk has been hit. Identifying a Stern fan call
becomes almost instinctive. Even Peter Jennings got caught during the O.J.
chase from a caller who claimed to be an eye witness.

Listening to Stern could help protect you from such callers. "Baba Booey"
in the middle of a hellfire and brimstone tirade would seriously reduce the
cash flow of religion's versions of Benny & Jerry.

Rich