[AF] USAF (was KRUD)

Jeff Carter altfreq at hidden-valley.com
Thu Jul 9 22:44:15 CDT 2009

I'm always amazed at how so many different paths touched on the same
points.  Within a small statistical margin, we've all got roughly the
same story.

I actually changed career fields from Aircraft Electrical to Aircraft
Control and Warning, and that school was at Keesler.  It was a whole
different experience, much less miserable than my first Tech School
experience, not to mention that Keesler is in a much more desirable
geographic location (at least for my tastes).  I still remember the AF
code for Aircraft Electrical, it was 42350 if you were qualified to
work unsupervised and 42330 when you graduated from Chanute.  No idea
what the second code was, because I was at Keesler and I was having a
rather large time.

What I remember about the base was everybody telling me to "Stay Out
Of The Triangle", which was apparently where the folks who just
arrived from Lackland were housed at the time.  When I was on active
duty, Lackland was the only place conducting BMT.  I understand that
this happened in other locations in different times, as well, but it
was just Lackland back in the mid-eighties.  They called the permanent
party NCOs "Student Advisors" but all I remember them doing from
Chanute was giving the students as much hell as possible.  Many of the
actual instructors were civilians.

Jeff