[BC] 75 MHz Quintron SpurMaster...

Burt I. Weiner biwa at att.net
Mon Nov 29 23:31:18 CST 2010

At 07:14 PM 11/29/2010, Tom Osenkowsky, CPBE wrote

>I worked for the owner of a multiuser tower. The site manager was getting many calls from an irate TV viewer complaining of interference on certain channels.
>
>The SM was so frustrated he told me he would pay me a thousand dollars if I could tell him which transmitter was causing the interference. The SM called the guy and we arranged a time where he would be available at his TV by phone and the SM had a cell in his car. From the description of the interference I was confident it was a paging transmitter. I was looking around and saw a 75 MHz (paging relays operate here) filter next to a
>Quintron tx. The SM called the guy, I unplugged the Quintron, the problem disappeared. I recalled hearing from a two-way tech that Quintrons played well into a dummy load but had broad RF outputs that mixed with nearby transmitters. This site had a lot of those.

I went through almost the same thing.  A FM station situated low to the ground in a residential neighborhood was getting blamed for wiping out channel 5 television by many neighbors.  I went to look at the interference and saw that it did not look like wideband FM. From the beat in the picture you could see that it was narrow and looked almost digital in nature.  That's exactly what it was.  I traced it to a 75 MHz pager link system that was only a few blocks away.  It also turned out to be a Quintron SpurMaster.

There were other issues as a result of the station's antenna being fairly low to the ground in a residential neighborhood.  Eventually, after a lot of screaming and yelling, the antenna was raised up to a "Proper" height and most of the station related issues disappeared.

Burt