[BC] Cart machines

Broadcast List USER Broadcast at fetrow.org
Mon Nov 29 00:31:43 CST 2010

When I took my check ride there were no laptops, or even PCs.

My E6B was essentially a slide rule, and there was no electronic
equilivent.

My Instructor "selected" my check ride inspector, and frankly, I
believe his job was to fail me.

He was about 100 miles away, across the Chesapeake Bay, and was a real
ball buster.

The moment I left the ground, I was put under the hood, and was there
for two hours.  I was only let out for landing.  He had positioned me
on the downwind leg, and told me I had to land past a runway
intersection, no power, and he pulled it off.

I kept flying downwind, finally turning crosswind, and finally on final.

I passed his artificial threshold, then asked him if it was OK to land
now.  I had it in the bag.

I greased the landing.  He signed me off.

I dropped him off and mad the 95 minute flight back to my home airport
west of the bay.

Nothing could have crushed me.  I was on cloud 9.

My instructor seemed actually amazed that I passed.  It seemed my
father and he had conspired to make me fail.

I do have my stories, but I have never crashed, or had an off airport
landing.

--chip