[BC] Happy Birthday Bob

wpio fm 89.3 wpio at gate.net
Sun Nov 28 22:42:12 CST 2010

I'll say happy birthday and thanks for creating the 8000 which this
noncom bought its first one used in 1988.  I was in in Pensacola on a
trouble call when it came in.  I was so excited to get to it, it cost me
a ticket in Tallahassee.  It replaced two Level Devils.  When the cop
querried as to the reason for the big hurry, there was no way I was
going to explain it to him.  It added $150 to the cost of the Optimod's
used price then of $1500.

Ok, I'll bore the birthday fun with one more Optimod related story.
Before the used ones were down in our price range, I thought I attempted
to make a house version of limiter which we called, a "Poor Man's
Optimod."  It used two of those OP AMP LABS (made in LA?) limiter (octal
socket) units.  It sounded so bad we could not use it.  Bob Orban knows
limiting.  OP AMP LABS doesn't...at least in a radio application.

Randy
wpio (noncom)