[BC] Radio training

Alex Hartman goober at goobe.net
Sun Nov 28 21:11:08 CST 2010

So, instead of wishing it dead, take it on. Sounds like a good community involvement tool to develop. The station i work at is a state college owned station as well. The station was put on the air in 1967 and by 1980 was pretty self-sustaining. It does take time, commitment and involvement. KVSC is owned by SCSU, a state college, and they give us office/studio space and the help of the computer guys on campus for little things, and pay 3 salaries. The rest of the station is completely self-sustaining. (granted, we do get CPB money and some state grants, and we allow the mass comm department to use a studio or 2 for classroom space)

Even if the school doesn't teach engineering (does any school REALLY teach engineering, let alone BROADCAST engineering?) it's still a good teaching tool for people. If they have a staff engineer/GM/OM/PD/etc (i'm guessing he wears all the hats) it sounds like it'd be better off run by the inmates. :)

Nashville is a tough market, i get that. But if it is truly a "community" station, let the community work with it. You might just be amazed at what the general public can do. :)

But first and foremost, run a damn pledge drive, get some cash in the door. Even if it's an extra few thousand, the school will see the viability and VISIBILITY of having it's own station. KVSC had that problem not too long ago, the community en mass gathered and beat  down the board of trustee's door during a meeting. I still have a job if that tells you anything. :)

It just sounds poorly managed by the college, not the stations fault itself.

--
Alex Hartman