[BC] AM Stereo Radios

Dave Hultsman DHults1043 at aol.com
Sun Nov 28 20:28:25 CST 2010

I had a Sony After Market AM Stereo/FM Stereo car radio which the am sounded good in Mono with the bandwidth set for wide.   It also sound good in AM Stereo.

I had a Dodge Aries K car with factory AM Stereo/FM Stereo which sounded good on AM mono and Stereo,

I had a Ford Taurus with AM Stereo/FM Stereo that sounded good with AM Mono and stereo.

And I had a 1993 Chevrolet  Suburban with a Delco radio that had AM Stereo/FM Stereo Radio,  It sounded great in AM Stereo but was bandwidth limited in AM Mono.  I wish they had a bandwidth switch in stead of automatically going to low bandwidth when there was no AM pilot.

Something similar on that Delco radio which is also on my present 2003 Delco/Bose  (No AM Stereo) was the FM stereo blending and locking the stereo pilot lite on.  The older FM stereo radios had a stereo-mono switch you could switch to mono and not lose any high frequencies when the pilot was out of range.   But no they just lock the Stereo light on and reduce the FM bandwidth to reduce the white noise.

Dave Hultsman