[BC] Florida Keys

Dave Hultsman DHults1043 at aol.com
Sun Nov 28 18:52:09 CST 2010

The old Three or four tower in the bay near the bridge on the North side of Key West was the AM on 1600.  I have forgotten the Gayle Swafford was the manager there for years.  They had a 100 kW. FM on one of the AM towers.   There was another 100 kW. FM just of Key West on the west side of US 1 that was on a 400 ft. tower. The AM four tower inline to the West of US 1 in Saddlebunch Key was the original Radio Marti that never got on the air.  It had a Gates 50E transmitter on 1040 kHz. It is at the Naval transmitting site operated by Bechtel Corp.  Then there was WWUS which was a Class A which converted to a Class C with 12 bays essentially on the top of the studio building, short tower. In Marathon there was a 4 tower in line on the east side of town that was the 1180 kHz. site for VOA.  This had originally a Gates 50E transmitter mounted in two trailers it has been completely rebuilt with two Continental 317C2's  combined for 100 kW. DA to Cuban.   Traveling north from Key West looking to the West you used to be able to see the two TV Marti balloons on the ground by day they only operated the TV in the evening and at night back then.

The big gun FM back years ago was the Class C in Plantation with 100 kW and a 500 ft. tower it went from Key West to Florida City.  It was originally put on the air by the Dee Rivers group with a Collins 830H, dual 10 kW. rig paralleled for 20 kW and a 12 bay antenna.  Long before the other 100 kW. or 50 kW. appeared in Monroe County.

In fact with all the FM stations along US 1 from Florida City to Key West, it would be interesting to see what
how many stations and translators server the entire population of the county.

Regarding the TV towers,  There was a 2000 footer at Homestead and it came down it was replaced.  I don't believe the others in the area or anywhere near 1800 feet???

Again any comments from Gary Blau or other South Florida Broadcasters??

Dave Hultsman

shabdkfmgfmg